Wednesday, February 29, 2012

wedding wednesday


For this week's Wedding Wednesday, let's talk flowers. I know some brides feel flowers can be a waste of money for the big day and I see truth in that- they will die anyway. But, most of the mesmerizing photos from weddings and receptions include gorgeous (and even simple) floral.


I've never had a strong affinity towards one flower over another, so I researched what would be in bloom in May and made a list of my favorites based on our colors- white, yellow, and blue. Ultimately I wanted the bouquets and centerpieces to look as though someone had just picked wild flowers from a field or garden and bundled them together. My favorites ended up being craspedia, sea holly, and solidago.





Two of my good friends had used The Garden Gate Florist for their weddings and since they came with a great reputation, I chose to work with them. My mom and I met with Lindy, one of the owners, and she was extremely helpful in capturing my vision.



From the bouquets, to corsages, to boutonnieres, to centerpieces- all the flowers and greenery looked perfectly plucked from a rustic garden.


The options are endless when it comes to centerpieces, but here are a few that strike my fancy:


As I've shared before, king protea and succulents are (in my opinion) some of the most stunning flowers out there.


This watering can centerpiece is not just rustic, but very romantic. I like the little pops of purple lavender. Instead of little touches of lavender, you could have an entire vase full of them:


Baby's breath also makes a gorgeous centerpiece. Jenna is thinking of using them for her bridesmaid bouquets and I could not be more excited!


I'm inclined toward mason jars for vases, but it's refreshing to see unique ideas too. Hollowed-out trees sure make sweet flower holders.


And lastly, some succulents in an eclectic vase. Something about the peach, mint, and green colors make me think of a desert wedding.


What about you- do you think flowers are a worthy investment for a wedding and reception?

// Photo sources: 1.-9. by Matt Miller, 10. by Corbin Gurkin via decor8, 11. by K. Holly Photography via Snippet & Ink, 12. by Jose Villa via Once Wed, 13. by Brooke Schwab via Once Wed, 14. by Amy Carroll Photography via Once Wed, 15. by Jill Thomas via Once Wed //

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...