Monday, June 17, 2013

Planning It Out


When Taylor and I both changed jobs in February, I was surprised by how seamless the transition was for us mentally and emotionally. We have been in heaven with more time together in the evenings and on weekends. One aspect of the transition that was surprisingly un-smooth was figuring out a meal planning schedule. While we share a lot of responsibilities like going to the grocery store, cleaning up the house, running errands, etc Taylor has done way more grocery shopping over the past two months.

I can't quite pinpoint why I have been so unmotivated to plan our weekly meals and sometimes I just need to write it all out to get a clear picture of what I am trying to accomplish. Last week I came up with a plan:

Monday - Microwave. We have family group time with couples in our church at 7 p.m. so we are typically grabbing something fast after Taylor finishes with personal training clients. Trader Joe's has some yummy (and quick!) microwaveable meals- like Orange Chicken or Kung Pao Chicken that we mix with rice and steamed broccoli.

Tuesday - Tacos. This is usually the cheapest meal to plan and we can always mix it up week to week between beef or pork. Add the toppings, chips, salsa and a margarita and we've got ourselves a meal that makes me oh-so-happy.

Wednesday - White Meat. The options for chicken are endless so this night will be dedicated to perfecting the staple recipes and getting creative with new ones from this cook book. I could easily add a side of summer pasta like this recipe.

Thursday - Trout. Well not trout every week, but I needed a fish that started with "t" :) We love cooking fish on the grill or in the oven- especially salmon with flavored wood planks. And the sides can be something basic or intricate. I love pairing salmon with cheese grits and asparagus.

Friday - Fast food.Taylor has baseball on Friday nights so that leaves me fending for myself and grabbing something on my way to the field. I have never claimed that this was a healthy food blog, so I might as well be honest and admit my weakness for Chick-fil-A sandwiches. With fries. And a milkshake. Judge me.

Saturday - Sushi. Usually anything goes on weekends, but Taylor and I have been making it a weekly habit to pick up sushi rolls from The Fresh Market and practicing our chopstick skills.

Sunday - Southern. If we're not going to grab a post-church lunch with friends, I plan to whip up BLTs or chicken salad before we take our beloved Sunday naps.

I'll be keeping y'all posted on how this goes...I told Taylor I also wanted to do a better job of consistently having people in our home to eat and nothing motivates me to cook and clean like company!

How do you plan your weekly meals?

// Photo via Coffee in the mountains. //

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...