Friday, April 6, 2012

how to have a great morning


I'm sorry yesterday got away from me without finishing my thoughts on a good morning. Taylor and I had a heart to heart the other night and it led me to some realizations about my character and weaknesses.

I would like to say I'm a morning person, but in reality I'm not. I love to sleep in until the last minute and scramble to get ready/eat breakfast/pack a lunch/etc. The problem with that is I have seriously underestimated the time I need with the Lord each morning before I start my day.

Taylor is an excellent student of the Bible and with his demanding schedule at the hospital he is much more disciplined in his time of reading in the morning. I had expressed this weakness of mine to Taylor before, but those conversations never led to a real plan of change. Until two nights ago.

I had noticed over the past few weeks a slight change in our relationship and closeness, and I knew it was a direct result of my selfishness and lack of reliance on the Word and prayer. Taylor encouraged me to wake up when he does (usually between 6 and 6:30 a.m.) so we can have breakfast and read our Bibles together. It felt daunting at the time, but the past two mornings have been incredible. I've had time to read and pray, enjoy a nice breakfast, get ready for work and feel prepared for the day.

I feel so indebted to Taylor for his patience with me and so excited about this habit we are building together. Sometimes it is really hard to ask for help, but God always blesses humility.

"Humble yourselves, therefor, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time." - 1 Peter 5:6

// Top photo via Pinterest //

3 comments:

  1. I went through such a similar situation a couple months ago as Eric was starting his job. It really is so nice now to get up with Eric at 6:30 and be able to leisurely enjoy my time with him, God, and the slower pace of getting prepared for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like marriage has been a bigger transition in my relationship with God than I anticipated. With more of my emotional needs being met by Taylor than when we were dating, it's a different closeness with God. For a while I felt guilty as if "different" meant bad, but I can choose to see it as a new chapter of life- like, "this is what being married AND having a relationship with God looks like."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilisa, I have gone through the same thing lately with Kyzer now in my morning schedule. For me it wasn't a "getting up early enough" problem (Kyzer sure gets me up at a decent time), but I was finding that my typical time with the Lord was taken away because of him and I wasn't eagerly seeking to find a new time or way to spend with God in my new schedule. For the first month, I think I could count on one hand how many times I had sat down and really read my bible and prayed for longer than 10 minutes. But God always knows how to get us back on track and thank goodness for husbands!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...